I decided to take a bicycling class this semester through the Outdoor Education Department at UNL and am quite happy I did. It was only a one credit hour; however, I feel more confident after the class. Admittedly, I knew more than what I thought but I believe that is because I researched self-contained touring quite a bit. Still, I learned useful information and the instructors were great. The main instructor provided me with good information about touring to OR and what I would or would not need. Specifically, he showed me, though indirectly, that I had most everything I needed to go on my tour.
Part of the requirements for this class was to go on a, approximately, 46 mile round trip tour. I knew this would not be impossible for me because I often do 18 to 22 miles in a day about 2 to 3 times a week; however, I knew doing it back-to-back days would be difficult and I was right. Things I learned during this trip were: (i) I think I will like touring alone and not worrying about other people's gear (ii) I am glad I choose a bicycle trailer instead of panniers because panniers I find are annoying and hard to get on and off the rack, (iii) I want to avoid gravel and city riding as much as possible and (iii) waking up in the morning will be hard and then getting back on the saddle will be even harder!!!
I also learned, though, that waking up to a woodpecker can be enjoyable, seeing the sun set and sunrise without any obstructions is great and eating home cooked food, from a fire, after a long bicycle ride is a great sensation! Our tour and class was unfortunately short but very informative. Also, I think most of all the main instructor's positiveness and encouragement to bicycle more (and specifically to do the tour to OR) gave me more courage and confidence with regard to bicycling.
The next two months goes as follows:
Now till May 1:
Work on school (getting very little sleep)
Try to continue to bicycle around 50 miles a week
Work out at the rec. center when possible
Write Man Papers
Buy more bicycling gear
May 1 to May 7:
Start of 3-month vacation from Raising Canes (I am extremely grateful they will allow me to do this! Additionally, the owner and managers always seem genuinely interested in my endeavor)
Work really hard to finish the semester strong!
May 7 to June 1:
Put in tons of hours in my independent research so I can drain my funds in that account
Enroll in a summer course and buy gear
Bicycle around 25 miles a day except on weekends
June 1:
Move into new apartment
June 2,3,4..?
One of these days I will have a leaving party...I am thinking about having a bottle of champagne to break on my bike similar to someone breaking a bottle on a ship for its virgin sail. The breaking of the bottle to signify my virgin self contained tour. Also, I kind of want to leave on a significant date, whether it be historical or personal but can not think of one...will ponder on this more.
Sunday, April 11, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment